Thursday, May 05, 2005

Sitar

Another project is coming to an end at work. To celebrate, we had dinner at Sitar and it was the most beautiful Indian food I've tasted.

This time I discovered chicken tikka (or something like that). It was a mild curry with a heavy tomato flavour to it. At first I thought it was going to be hot as it was fairly reddish in colour, but it wasn't at all. In fact, "mild" really meant no chilli and to me that was good. I can't take chilli hot. It burns my tongue and throat and won't go away even if I drown myself with water. I didn't touch that vindaloo when offered.

We had Indian contractors at the dinner and I noticed that they only eat with their right hand, even when they're breaking up naan bread. I wonder if there's some cultural background to that. We tried eating like them and it did taste better... or maybe it was our imagination, we did after all had a few drinks across the road before we had dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most "hot" tastes are due to oils in the food, so water will have no effect. Milk is better, or there is a yoghurt condiment you can get (raiti? raitha?). And isn't chicken tikka the same as tandoori, except with more/less sauce?

I was told, likely unreliably, that the right hand is for eating and the left is for, err, less hygienic tasks.

Cindy said...

Hehehe that would explain why they so religiously stick to using their right hand when eating :)

Anonymous said...

In Bangladesh, the 'right hand = food and left hand = unhygienic tasks' paradigm applies, and I'm pretty sure it's the same in surrounding countries like India.