Sunday, September 04, 2005

Things I like about Brisbane

I love fireworks. It's one of the few things that I make such bold statements about. It's not just the colours in the sky. It's the fact that fireworks is a symbol of celebration. It has the power to unite and gather people to focus on the one thing. It's also a sign of peace. It reminds me how lucky I am to be here.

I've never been in a war or any disaster. The closest contact I have with those are through the news. I can't imagine what life would be like if I have to watch out for mines wherever I go, or not step out of the house at all for fear of being shot, or have to stay at some refugee camp because I don't even have a home to go to. Things like these are happening in America, the self proclaimed world police and supposedly the most advanced nation. The lawlessness at New Orleans right now showed the true face of the people there. If Brisbane is in the middle of a natural disaster like that in New Orleans, I am confident that it won't be like that.

I'm grateful to be here. How many other cities have fireworks for no apparent reason but to celebrate the fact that there is a river!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.. for no apparent reason but to celebrate the fact that there is a river!

And the fact we are the best city in the world, but hey, I'm biased, I live here

Anonymous said...

I missed that.
I was working hard on accounting assignment at that time!!!!